[WriteLog] SSCW 2010 K0HB

To: "MWA Reflector" <MWA@w0aa.org>, "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SSCW 2010 K0HB
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:38:05 -0000
Good conditions, poor station performance.  We pledged 150K and had an actual
goal of 175K, but missed by a big margin.

Call Sign: K0HB
Operator(s) : K0HB K0CKB
Category : MULTIOP (High Power)

    Band    QSOs
     80     262
     40     235
     20     324
     15      41

Mults: 79 (No ND)

Total Score: 862Q’s x 2 x 79 = 136,196

Contest started strong on 15M capturing almost all W6/W7 mults in the first
half hour, and then things started to go downhill.

We use WriteLog and the rig interface is a microKEYER-II (embedded K1EL
“winkey”).  Upgraded to the latest version of WriteLog just prior to the
contest.

Over the past several seasons this combination has been bullet-proof, but about
a half hour into the contest started to have odd keying behavior.  The keying
stream would randomly drop a character or two for no apparent reason.  For
example, if I sent an exchange like “K1ABC 11 M K0HB 65 MN”, it might drop the
“H” in K0HB and insert a space there, resulting in “K1ABC 11 M K HB MN”.  But
the missing “H” did not die --- it would appear later at some inappropriate
time, either keying up the rig when I was in receive mode copying an exchange,
or in the middle of some later transmitted string!  These come-back-to-life
characters were not random – they were always the actual AWOL characters
previously dropped.

The problem was not predictable, but would show up after about a half hour
operating, give or take, and get progressively worse quickly, to the point of
transmitting a gibberish consisting of the current transmit string (often
missing characters) and inclusion of previously dropped characters come back to
life.

Closing WriteLog and restarting it did not clear the problem.  In fact, while
out of WriteLog, sometimes a vagrant character would surface and key the rig!
It was if some characters were delayed in the OS (Win7) between the application
and the USB output port.  The only way to resolve the issue was to reboot the
computer.  After reboot, things would run nicely for usually about a half hour.

Did I mention it is a new computer?  We replaced our shack/office computer back
in May.  It’s a 64-bit Win7 machine with oodles of memory and a quad-core
processor.  Before this weekend, we’d only done some casual CW contesting with
no problems on  this machine, but it seems the problem takes about a half hour
of activity to manifest itself.

Well, after a couple hours of operate/reboot/operate/reboot we decided that the
patient needed a computer-transplant.  The previous computer had been given to
a grandkid, so we had to resurrect a 2nd-previous machine out of the garage
rafters.  Bear in mind we were well into the contest, and wanted to continue
our log without manually retyping all the existing Q’s.  Best way to do that
would be a thumb drive, but they’d all gone into hiding, so before
decommissioning the current machine, I sent my log to myself as an email
attachment and closed down quickly before it “came back”.

Transplanted the old machine into the station, and found it had no WriteLog
installed, so then had to download/install the current version.  Also had to
update the microHAM router program to match the new firmware in the
microKEYER-II.  Then gathered my email with the log attached and copied it into
the appropriate directory.

Finally got the transplants and transfusions complete, and after some sleep the
old Win-XP machine performed like a champ for the remainder of the contest.  So
it wouldn’t seem to be a WriteLog problem.  Seems more like some characters
stopped in the OS someplace for lunch before heading out the USB port.  So is
it a Win7 issue, or a RF-sensitive computer?  The problem was manifested ONLY
in the CW keying problem --- otherwise the computer and Writelog did NOT hiccup
in any other sense.  Seems like RF would affect other things in addition to
this keying problem?

Ended up with about 19 hours operating time, but missed a lot of good rate-time
on Saturday evening, so missed our goal by quite a bit.  No sweep – missed ND.
Never even heard one, although I heard a pileup working a whisper-thin K5xxx on
15 Sunday afternoon which seemed to be NW of me.  Other than that possibility,
never even smelled something likely to be ND.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--