Re: [WriteLog] [CQ-Contest] Quality of Sound Cards?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [CQ-Contest] Quality of Sound Cards?
From: "Mike K9MI" <mike@k9mi.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:51:42 -0500
Maybe 5 or 6 years ago my son and I put together a pretty slick for the time
pc for my ham radio elmer and his wife. They had 0 pc experience. A year or
so down the road, they wanted to keep up with technology and bought a Dell
of some flavor. I was out installing programs for them and noticed I
couldn't hear there sounds. I had to crank up the speakers way up on the
Dell to even come close to the generic pci card that was in the other pc. I
noticed the same thing with this pc as it has built in speakers, but they
are disabled and a sound blaster is in it's place. You can always download
the sound card test program off of the WriteLog site to get some idea
anyway. I think someone mentioned (K6LL?) that you do have to go into
settings of the microphone in Windows and make sure the compression  box is
checked with the Heil mics. Unless you have the Icom model headset or maybe
even the new "Pro Set Media" version, "Using a very high performance
condenser microphone element, designed specifically for the requirements of
the computer sound cards, the new Heil PRO SET MEDIA brings your computer to
life with beautiful broadcast audio." (from the ad)

73, Mike K9MI