Re: [WriteLog] WL & microHAM MK2R+ REMOTE STATION use???

To: "'Eric Hilding'" <dx35@hilding.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL & microHAM MK2R+ REMOTE STATION use???
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 22:57:14 -0500
Rick,

> > You will notice that only DOS loggers are listed in that statement.
> > WriteLog will only control line 14 (A/B) of the LPT.
>
> This one baffles me, however, because I presently send CW
> from WriteLog via the LPT1 port through my DXD.  Are you
> saying I would not be able to do this with WL and the MK2R+ ?

No, with WriteLog the LPT interface supports pin 14 (A/B), "PC
Generates" CW (although WinKey is far better) and PTT.  Since
WriteLog does not provide separate "receive focus" and "stereo"
controls with the soundboard DVK those features are not available.

Other software supports the "NA" standard with separate transmit
select (pin 3), receive focus (pin 4) and "stereo" (pin 5) in
addition to PC generated CW and PTT.  That interface is also
available with Mk2R.

The statement could probably be more clear to indicate that once
it is configured, MK2R (the version without USB sound - since USB
sound requires the PC) functions perfectly well with just the LPT
inputs.  It can provide "traditional" SO2R services for the DOS
programs without the need for a PC running Windows and microHAM
Router.  The user could program and store multiple headphone
switching "scenarios" in the eight memories ahead of time and
select the specific behavior simply by pressing a button.

> > Your application is so far out and the potential market so
> > small that I do not expect the factory will have any interest.
>
> Umh, I consider the application more "Visionary" than "far out"!

Call it "visionary" if you wish, it is still far out of the
mainstream and probably represents such a small potential
market even on a global basis that it would be difficult to
justify spending extremely limited research, design and
programming resources on such a product.  In any case, that
decision will be made by the guys in Slovakia and not at the
distributor level.

> One final question here that *could* also be of interest to
> WL SO2R Remote folks, albeit it a much more costly
> solution... involving TWO MK2R+ units...one at the remote
> site and one at the home CC&R restricted QTH.  What if an
> MK2R+ at home could be interfaced to control the remote
> MK2R+...perhaps via software on a 2nd computer that itself is
> connected in the Ethernet food chain???

I can see where microHAM may consider an IP link between "local"
and "remote" versions of microHAM Device Router.  Still, that does
not address the ability to manipulate the front panel controls on
MK2R/MK2R+ and/or control audio levels.

I think K3NA has played with controlling microKEYER (or MK2R+
in single radio mode) using remote desktop software and has used
Skype for audio transport but that's a far cry from being able
to do remote SO2R.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America