Re: [WriteLog] UTC Clock

To: w2nra@birdsandbeacons.com, writelog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] UTC Clock
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:46:14 EST
In a message dated 3/26/2004 5:34:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w2nra@birdsandbeacons.com writes:
Not that I know of. You can, however, set your computer clock to UTC and use
"(GMT) Casablanca Monrovia" time zone.  The clock on your system tray will
show UTC and WL will record UTC in your log.

BTW, you must use "(GMT) Casablanca Monrovia" since it is the version of GMT
that does not change for daylight savings time.

That works if you're not sharing your computer and/or using it for other
"local time" dependent tasks.  Besides then I'd want to know local time.  There
is
no reason not to have the clock.  Almost all other programs do.

Thanks for the reply,
Art,

Here is another option for you, and this is what I do.

1.)  Set the computer clock on your local time (EST, in my case) using your
local time zone (EST in my case) and the Daylight Savings Time automatic
adjustment.  WL will automatically calculate the correct UTC offset so your
QSOs
will be entered with the correct UTC in the log.

2.)  I have a separate "atomic clock" sitting on my desk.  You know, the kind
that is set by the NIST time signal.  I use that clock to get the exact
second to start a contest when I need that kind of precsion.

3.)  I use a program called NISTIME to get the correct time NIST time from
the Internet.  This automatically sets my computer clock.

Although it might be nice to have, don't feel that WL needs a clock.  When I
operate a contest, I have so many windows open, there is hardly room for a
clock window.

FWIW, hi.

73, Geo...

George Wagner, K5KG