[WriteLog] Need info on 8 port serial interface PCI expansion boards

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Need info on 8 port serial interface PCI expansion boards
From: ronald.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:47:21 -0500
I believe that the PCI versions from http://www.byterunner.com will work.
As I said earlier I am using two of their 4 port PCI cards successfully,
although I have not used them for direct FSK.  A plus has been that you can
phone them and talk to a knowledgeable person, by the name of 'Sean', and,
at least in the past, he will guarantee they will work for you or he will
take them back.  If you can get that guarantee it should be worth the try.

One thing to keep in mind is that the product could have changed with
different versions, I know the PCI cards they are selling now are not the
same ones they had say 3 years ago.

Also as of about 6 months ago they did not have 'XP approved drivers'.  When
I installed one on XP the operating system complained, but the card worked
perfectly.  I talked to Sean about this and he said it was an issue of cost
for them, they have to submit the driver to a certification company (maybe
its actually Microsoft I don't actually know) and it was costly to get
certification.  You might want to confirm if they have gotten this by now.

Ron N5IN