[WriteLog] Erratic Cw

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Erratic Cw
From: jbrannig@optonline.net (JAMES T BRANNIGAN)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 06:15:27 -0400
I agree.....
RFI is the cause of most of the keying problems.  I'm surprised that there
aren't more issues with computers operating in an RF rich environment

In CT/DOS RFI in the computer usually resulted in a complete lock-up....
W/L under Windows has more subtle problems with RFI.  Generally the DOT/DASH
ratios are affected to some degree.  I've experienced keying that "didn't
sound quite right" to DASHES equal in length to DOTS.

Before I tear the computer apart, I eliminate all RF.
Turn off the AMP., attach a shielded dummy load, turn the drive all the way
down.  If that doesn't work, turn off the transmitter and attach a code
oscillator to the keying line.
If you still have a problem, then I would look to a software solution.

Curing RFI is a long process of elimination.  Adding an external keyer might
help with the immediate problem, but the next RFI symptom could be a trashed
contest file.

Good luck,
Jim