[WriteLog] Newbie problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Newbie problems
From: ni6t@intuitive.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:46:33 +0000
--------------8D88731858B9FD2322E9868A

John:

Thanks---but I guess that, as carefully as I tried to word my question, I was
not clear enough. I am indeed using "Rig on COMM1"---were I not, I would be in
full manual mode. Although the rig and WriteLog are talking to each other, the
communication seems incomplete and far from each seamlessly tracking the other.
That is, WriteLog ignores the radio until a frequency has been selected in that
frequency selection window and sent to the radio. Then, it does not appear to
allow the listed frequency selections to be permanently modified (e.g. to 14040
instead of 14000), requiring instead that the desired QSY frequency be typed in
each time. Once the QSY is accomplished, WL polls and tracks the A VFO
frequency.

I asked:

* Is it possible to control the default frequencies in the frequency select
window?

* Is it possible to set the radio to a new band from its memories, and have
Writelog immediately track it?

This brings up a corollary question:

* Can WriteLog respond to either MP VFO? I observe only a response to the A
VFO, even if the B VFO is selected for transmitting. (My guess is that this is
allowable in the MP hardware, but is a shortcoming in Yaesu's CAT interface.)
This is a rational question, because it would be useful to use both VFO's on
the same band as a "poor man's" SO2R. If WL won't follow the B VFO, and a QSO
is made with the B VFO, the logged frequency associated with the QSO will be
wrong, and it will appear in the log as a QSY violation (not moving the
required 1 or 5 kHz). This in turn necessitates an extra motion to swap VFO's,
to complete the QSO on the A VFO. More work for Mother.

Garry

--
160 meters-not a band but an obsession

--------------8D88731858B9FD2322E9868A

John:
I was not clear enough. <i>I am indeed using "Rig on COMM1"---were I not,
talking to each other, the communication seems incomplete and far from
each seamlessly tracking the other. That is, WriteLog ignores the radio
until a frequency has been selected in that frequency selection window
and sent to the radio. Then, it does not appear to allow the listed frequency
selections to be permanently modified (e.g. to 14040 instead of 14000),
requiring instead that the desired QSY frequency be typed in each time.
Once the QSY is accomplished, WL polls and tracks the A VFO frequency.
and have Writelog immediately track it?</i>
to the A VFO, even if the B VFO is selected for transmitting. (My guess
is that this is allowable in the MP hardware, but is a shortcoming in Yaesu's
CAT interface.) This is a rational question, because it would be useful
to use both VFO's on the same band as a "poor man's" SO2R. If WL won't
follow the B VFO, and a QSO is made with the B VFO, the logged frequency
associated with the QSO will be wrong, and it will appear in the log as
a QSY violation (not moving the required 1 or 5 kHz). This in turn necessitates
an extra motion to swap VFO's, to complete the QSO on the A VFO. More work
for Mother.
control, as I
to the
At the