[WriteLog] Basic Question...com ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Basic Question...com ports
From: keith@kregli.com (Keith Regli)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:34:23 -0400
Rick,

The archives for this reflector contains lots of successes and failures for
both add-in serial cards and USB to serial ports.  The bottom line seems to
be that there is no answer that works for everyone.  My website describes my
(successful) experiences with USB solutions.

I suggest using the built-in ports for any kind of bit twiddling activity
such as CW or FSK as the Microsoft drivers seem to handle that well.  Use
the additional ports for rig control, W5XD keyer, and other things that are
really serial communication.

Another thing you might look at is the motherboard in your machine.  Some of
the motherboards that appear to support only one COM port really support two
(such as the Intel 815 series).  You have to bring the port out to the back
panel, but it works fine as COM2.

Keith Regli WB6BIG
http://www.kregli.com/wb6big.htm
mailto:keith@kregli.com