TRLog

[Trlog] Development update

To: TR Log Reflector <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] Development update
From: TreeN6TR <treen6tr@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 21:17:29 -0800
(I thought I had sent this before, but do not see it in the archive)
Work continues on the TR2B fork.  I am not aware of anyone actually using
it thus far.  We will probably do an official release sometime soon.

The 2BSIQ stuff has been mostly sitting waiting for the NAQP CW contest
after being used some in the SS CW and CQ WW CW contest.  I will probably
focus on that and make sure I didn't break anything during the upcoming
CWTs.

The N4OGW waterfall bandmap is moving along.  I had a lot of fun with this
during the ARRL 10 meter contest near the end and used it a bit during the
Stew Perry.  It turns out the performance of the RTL-SDR dongle down on 160
meters is pretty poor.

I have decided to use the same SDR that Tor is using which should work much
better.  If you are interested in being on the "bleeding edge" of this,
then you can order the same one if you like.

AFE822x SDR-Net (Dual Channel) (afedri-sdr.com)
<http://afedri-sdr.com/index.php/new-afe822x-sdr-net-dual-channel>

Alex is very easy to work with over email and my order was shipped within a
few days and should arrive in a week via DHL.

N4OGW uses his SDRs at the IF frequency of his K3 radios.  Since there is
no IF frequency in a K4, he is having to make some changes to let you tune
them to the RF frequency directly.  It might be another month before those
changes are QRV.  For the NAQP CW, I might just dust off my two K3s and use
them for RX only for the bandmap.

If you don't understand what this N4OGW bandmap thing is all about - check
out the youtube video:

(782) Unassisted Operating with Panadapters by Dr. Tor Clay N4OGW: Deep
Dixie Contest Club - YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9twGrgkpmQ&t=3304s>

This is now fully integrated into the TR Log software - so that whenever a
bandmap entry is added, it also shows up on Tor's display.  You can also
click on a frequency and have it sent to the B VFO of the radio and then
you can use the SPACE BAR (with no callisgn input) to swap VFOs as needed
to work the guy. For you assisted types, this will obviously show a lot
more calls.

As we move into the next year, I look forward to continuing to make
improvements to the program and get it more "modernized".  Kevin, W9CF, has
a method that we can implement using a 3rd party program to record audio
for each QSO.  That will be a fun one to implement as well.

73 and Happy Holidays
Tree N6TR