TRLog

[Trlog] RE: Virtual PC & TR ?

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: [Trlog] RE: Virtual PC & TR ?
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:20:15 -0800
I haven't kept up on computer stuff like I should have for the past several years, but an interesting possibility was mentioned to me late yesterday afternoon: "Virtual PC" using a DOS "Emulation".

Has anyone tried this, or know if it would work?

Alarmingly, I also just discovered that the new Dell D600 Latitude notebook shipped yesterday does NOT have a PS/2 port on it. Who would have thought? Since many of the newer notebooks have no serial port & no parallel port (not good for contest logging software), it didn't even cross my mind that they would have ditched the PS/2 (Mouse/Keyboard) port. ARRRGGGHHHHH.

I did order the Expansion System (a/k/a Docking Station) 'cuz it will enable me to add more serial/parallel ports via a PCI card for home station use...and that does have a PS/2 port or two on it. However, for single radio X-pedition, field day, IOTA stuff, I'd prefer not to have to haul that extra item around.

My understanding is that there are USB to PS/2 adaptors available, but the $64,000 question is would something like this work with TR in a DOS mode? My suspicions are... "No". My external X-Keys sticks, keypad and footswitch with TR-related Macros plug MUST into the PS/2 port. If a USB to PS/2 adaptor widget won't work on the standalone notebook, I'll most likely return the D600 to Dell and resume my quest for a workable configuration.

Tnx much for any clarity & 73...

Rick, K6VVA