TRLog

Re: [Trlog] laptop setup

To: "TRLog Reflector" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] laptop setup
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:51:21 -0700
From: "Dick Frey" <k4xu@bendcable.com>
To: "TR-log reflector" <trlog@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 8:24 PM
Subject: [Trlog] laptop setup

> I got a cheap used laptop to replace the Dell that
fried while I was mobile
> during the last Oregon QSO Party. It's a TI running
W98 SE with 32M RAM.
> In CWSS this weekend I noticed the occasional
"hanging" of the CQ messages
> giving an occasional long dash, never in the same
place twice. I assume the
> machine was trying to do two things at once and the
CW got second choice on
> resources. Other than that it ran flawlessly in SO2R
with a pair of Omni 6+,
> one not controlled.
> What is the current wisdom on optimum config and
autoexec loads?
> Dick Frey    k4xu

Hi Dick,

I'll guess that you were running TR under dos, rather
than in a Win 98 dos window. When you do it that way,
hard disk writing tasks take precedence over i/o
operations.

You can solve this by using a hard disk write memory
cache. Before starting TR, at the dos prompt, type:
LH SMARTDRV C+

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ