TRLog

[TRLog] TRLog and serial ports, 2

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog and serial ports, 2
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:49:43 -0500
At 11:37 PM 12/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Seems to me that the last time I chased this, checking the HARDWARE
>clock, the one on the motherboard (not the one in software set from
>hardware during bootup), was a standard bios function, not
>particularly mysterious. Not something you would want to do constantly
>(it's slow), but every thirty seconds or every couple of minutes would
>not be a bother. TR could just keep itself adjusted, regardless if
>some java fragment has hosed the software clock.

Seems like a good idea to me.  I downloaded another freeware Internet time
setting program called Automachron, which does everything Dimension 4 does,
plus keeps a log of the size of correction applied.  I set it up yesterday
to correct my time every 15 minutes, and came back a few hours later --
amazing.  The first correction was maybe 200 ms, then 400, then 700, then
1200, etc.  In other words, not only was the OS clock making errors but the
errors got bigger with each succeeding interval, and by a bigger
differential.  Must be some sort of second-order software fiddling.  We may
yet rue the day that someone ever thought of Java!

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower