TRLog

[TRLog] Sorry CW On My Laptop

Subject: [TRLog] Sorry CW On My Laptop
From: W2CS@bellsouth.net (Gary Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:29:47 -0500
Jim,

In addition to Guy's comments you might also try booting up XP in recovery
console mode.  Many "DOS-like" programs seem to run from there. Not sure
about TR.  Recovery console is a command line interface exactly like DOS,
for sure, and it will access NTFS, FAT32 and FAT disk partitions.  The
recovery console is *not* automatically installed in XP/Home, if that's what
you're using.  To find it, do a start...helpandsupport, and search for
recovery console.

If this doesn't work, I'd proceed directly to getting a DOS floppy boot disk
to work with TR on that computer.  Or an old WinME recovery boot disk.
Perhaps an XP boot disk will work-not sure.  Then hope you have at least one
non-NTFS disk partition to play with in the non-XP cases  :-)

In any case, I don't think, given the time left, I'd fool around with trying
to get it to run normally under XP using the XP command prompt window.  I've
yet to hear of anyone who has succeeded with that.

One other thought, easy to do, might work, but who knows...

Have you tried setting the priority of the TR process higher?  In XP by
hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL (the old 3-finger salute) you can bring up the task
manager.  In the task manager is a tab for processes.  ONCE TR IS RUNNING,
switch to the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL if not yet started, or ALT-TAB if
task mgr is started), click on the process tab, right click on the entry for
TR, and play with the priority.  I suggest you first have no other windows
open besides TR before you play with this, since there's a better than even
chance you will crash the system with TR being high.  But it's easy and
worth a try.  Just be prepared for a reboot if you end up locking out some
very important XP process when you do that.  Another thing to play with is
the compatibility mode, a property of the TR icon.

GL es 73,

Gary W2CS