TRLog

[TRLog] Bandmap bugginess in version 6.67

Subject: [TRLog] Bandmap bugginess in version 6.67
From: mikeh@webraska.com (Mike Heideman)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:59:23 -0700
KL7RA wrote:

> During our contesting we encourage log editing over the "notes" option.
>
> After the contest I assume you "difference" the logs the same way I do. I
> pull each
> PC ID log out of the master log using Post then recombine them back to a
> master
> log which now will contain each band and their edits.

That would work as long as the operators didn't accidentally edit the log.  One
of our
operators, either because of experience with another logging program or
something else,
frequently seemed to have his cursor up in the editable log window when he was
entering
calls or exchanges.  Most of the time he got out and answered N when asked if
he wanted to
save the edits.  Apparently he missed one time and ended up changing N7IR to
A71R just
coincidentally for a QSO from his station.  Doing the Post/Merge procedure
would have left
A71R in the log.

My current procedure is to use Unix tools via Cygwin on Windows, run sort on
the log
files, compare sorted output using diff, and edit a master log with the changes
I decide
are appropriate.  We typically don't have many differences because most errors
are
captured in notes.

> I don't see the problem having ops edit their band log to prevent dupes, etc,
> during
> the contest as the "fix" only takes a few minutes (after the contest), plus
> having to
> dump each band PC to a floppy.

This doesn't work if a single band is operated from different computers at
different times
in the contest.  I think that all of our bands got shifted to different
computers at
different times in the contest.  This happened for various reasons.  One of our
amps
stopped working so rather than move the amp we moved antennas to a different
station.  We
have only one StackMatch which is not convenient to move and we wanted to use
it on
different bands to do power splitting between antennas.  We didn't have enough
operators
to man all the open bands at 4 in the morning local time, so we moved a pair of
bands to
adjacent stations where a single operator could Auto-CQ on both with a
SO2R-style stereo
audio switch.

If we had 5 or 6 StackMatches and no equipment problems and enough operators to
man all
the open bands all the time then we could probably do what you suggest.

> I have tried the "dump to network after edit window " but in our case some
> times those
> last five Q's can hang for hours.

I also like to see what is being worked by the other operators.  Changing the
SEND QSO
IMMEDIATELY state prevents that.

73,
-Mike, N7MH