TRLog

[TRLog] Re: OS compatibility

Subject: [TRLog] Re: OS compatibility
From: nr1dx@tellink.net (NR1DX)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:17:46 +0000
Jim  et all

I think you are probably right although it will take a few more years. Most
new mother boards released in the last 6 months for example no longer have
ISA slots in them. As I understand it ISA is addressed directly by DOS ,
PCI is another matter. and you could go to PCI slot serial and parallel
cards, however as I learned the hard way you usually must load a special
driver or TSR to run these PCI slot cards in a DOS environment. The results
are often unpredictable and frustrating, and I suspect that within 5 years
the developers of these cards will no longer even bother with DOS drivers.
In the end for most of them it is an economic decision, someone like
Byterunner will always be in the back ground supplying cards for what will
become "specialty situations" but at a $$$.

Don't get me wrong, I gave up trying to nag, cajole, guilt trip etc Tree
into writing a WINDOWS version years ago. I finally get his point of view.
The amount of personal time required to make the transition compared to the
return is not justified. The man does have a life and family outside of
TRLog. He is under no contract or even morale responsibility to bring TRLog
into 21st century. TRLog has enjoyed its place in the sun but like the
dinosaurs 65 million years ago its inability to adapt fast enough will
ultimately result in its demise. I will mourn its passing. The newer
Windows based programs will trace their roots to many of the innovations
developed during TRLog's reign. Tree will take his place in the amateur
radio hall of fame along with names like Beverage, Lou McCoy, ON4WW, etc as
having made a significant impact on the state of the art at the time.

Dogbert I think summed it up in a Dilbert strip a few months back in the
titling of his new management book ..."Change happens get over it" .......

$02 worth

Dave
NR1DX