TRLog

[TRLog] Many small issues

Subject: [TRLog] Many small issues
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: 3 Nov 1999 17:21:19 -0000

Well - I am pretty depressed...  there have been an alarming number
of problems reported that fit into the following description:

1. They are consistent for the person seeing the problem.
2. They can not be reproduced by me.
3. They are affecting features that have been working for a long time.
4. Are not in sections of the code that have been touched.
5. Have come up in one of the past few releases (i.e., worked fine
   in version 6.39 or 6.43).

Any one of them on their own could almost be ignored, but when having
so many of them all in a short period, it can't be.

I have checked the obvious suspects - which have caused problems
like this before, but haven't found anything.  Tonight, I will make
a big push to try and understand what is going on and fix it before
I leave to W5WMU or trigger a backup plan.

What I will do - if nothing can be found to fix - is go back to a
previous release of TR and only make the SS precedence changes to
it and make a release (TR only) that will hopefully resolve the
majority of these problems.

I would strongly suggest you at least have this backup version
available during the SS in case you start having problems.

Some of the symptoms reported include:

1. CQ EXCHANGE changing after a few QSOs (no more check and section).
2. Small delay when calling CQ with F1, but not RETURN.
3. Network issues with packet (probably a "real" problem).
4. Floppy save occuring at unexpected times.

I am probably forgetting a couple of others.

So - look for a new release in the next 26 hours - either a "fixed"
release (unlikely as there won't be enough time to validate it - unless
I find a simple explanation) or a backup release of something like 6.39
with the new precedences added.

73 Tree