Re: [TowerTalk] Used 40ft crank up pole.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used 40ft crank up pole.
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@k0xp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:22:31 -0700
These things ain't just "telescoping poles"; they are actual towers.
People are ASKING anywhere between $500 to $1500 (even higher, if they
REALLY are proud of it) for MA-40 towers with the tiltable raising
fixture. What they are actually getting for the things, I have no idea:
I haven't seen any actually sold for awhile. There's at least two MA-40s
and a MA-550 for sale on QRZ.com right now, and I know of a MA-40 in the
PHX area. I was given a 77-foot Wilson STB-77, complete with tiltable
raising fixture, for free a year ago but it needs all the cables
replaced still. I'm still working on it. I bought and refurbished a
28-foot boat trailer just to haul my STB-77 home. I was in line to
acquire a free 90-foot Sky Needle plus large log periodic from the San
Diego area; but considering the age and fact it had been in the salt air
of Oceanside since the early '70s, plus the rotator and winch needed
complete rebuilding, I finally declined. Once you have the tower and
raising fixture, you still need to build a rebar cage for the base and
the four base bolts (basically the same as for a triangular tower), all
of which materials are cheap enough and can be bought from Homey Despot.
The 1" bolt material I need for my STB-77, however, has to come from a
jobber. I was even able to order and receive a brand new tilt-raising
winch from the original manufacturer for my old STB-77.

BTW, these tubular towers are heavier than they appear on paper,
especially at our age now.

Digging the hole for the base in this desert cliche is a whole other story.

Steve, K0XP