[TowerTalk] Array Solutions

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Array Solutions
From: W1JCW John <W1JCW@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:42:52 +0000
Jay has retired.

73-
W1JCW
John

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk <towertalk-bounces@contesting.com> On Behalf Of Richard Thorne
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 4:49 AM
To: john@kk9a.com; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Array Solutions

John,

Jay posted the following to SharedApexLoop groups.io a few days ago.

Rich - N5ZC

Jeff, NJ2US
Saw your comments and I'd like to help out.    But first let me say
after 35 years of Array Solutions, I am finally retiring at 73.  Wow what a
great ride and I could not have done it without my wife, and
family, and great customers.   Thank you!

I will try to support our products and do intend to keep the website active and
will be available for emails and phone calls as we wind down the business.
There are a couple of companies interested in continuing some of our products
and if you are interested please let me know if you would like to take a look
at making some of our products.

Now to Jeff's point.  I am happy to make the design of the couplers available
to this group so you can build your own SAL systems.  And we are still going to
be able to supply electronics through the Hamation company.
So hopefully I will actually have more time to do some experiments I have
wanted to do for years with the SAL concept.  Like phasing them.

Masts, there are sources for HD masts.  Scott over at vibroplex has SpiderBeam
masts, and another great source for fiberglass masts is Max Gain Systems.  Here
is a direct link to the Masts from them:
https://mgs4u.com/fiberglass-push-up-masts/
You see they also offer guying systems as well.
For stakes I have found using metal fencing T-posts work great.   Just
use some good rope and place them about 4-5 feet away from the wire corner.
You can also tie the guy ropes to them.  My SAL-30 uses just four of these
T-Posts and has been up for 10+ years.  Also I can mow under the wires too
without fear of running over a stake.

Loop sizes, and shapes.  There is no secret shape for the SAL to work well.
Square loops might actually work better then the triangle loops,
it seems to show this in the models.   So I would encourgage those that
have the time and space to experiment with square loops.  You can separate the
loops as well for better gain and pattern.  Just make the delay lines longer to
compensate.  I will be doing just that in my next retired life.

I also can publish EZNEC and other models for your use. Mark Bauman who is a
member of this group also can contribute.  And we all should remember Mark is
the father of the SAL antenna we all love.

I hope that settles the questions of "will the SAL antenna" be supported in the
future.  It is such a great antenna for it's size. How can we not support it
and continue some development.  With your help we will.

73 and hope to hear from you all.

Jay

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions