[TowerTalk] Fulton 2550 winch

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fulton 2550 winch
From: PHILIP SNYDER <n9lah@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 19:24:22 -0600 (CST)
Hi Folks

I have a quite "mature" Fulton 2550. I didn't like how it was acting last
summer. Letting out cable to lower the tower, with weight on the cable, the
handle would turn but the spool would only let out cable sporadically. I
cranked it back up and put the bolts in. I purchased a new DLB2500A from
Tashijen since they said it was a direct replacement, but the 34 foot of cable
that comes with it will not lower my HDX555 and the way to the ground and it
doesn't appear that the spool capacity of the winch will allow me to add enough
cable to do that.

My question is, should I attempt to rebuild the current 2550 or purchase new. I
am assuming the only real wear part would be the friction disks. Everything
else looks old with a little surface rust/discoloring but nothing looks worn. I
see the disks available online, is there anyone offering a rebuild kit or maybe
a service that rebuilds them?

Thanks
Phil
N9LAH