Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?
From: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:46:33 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for all the replies both direct and to the reflector.

To answer a few questions.
This is mostly to repair wires that need to go back into a treetop or are otherwise intended to be airborne (thus, no splitbolts can be employed) I have lot of 4-squares (all are wire) and other similar type of antennas. Most of my antennas are either in a field or "down in the woods", where walking/safety can be tough. Distances range from 75-250' from the driveway.
It's usually breezy where I am.
 It's usually cool to downright blisterin' cold when I am repairing antennas. ( I generally don't do too much antenna work in July for example)..but the other day I tried to mate 2 x #12AWG stranded pcs of copper wire together and it took me probably 20+minutes and I ended up with a solder joint I am not proud of.  It was 24*C and winds were 20-25km/h (which I think was the problem)

I think I may try to get a 125w (equivalent) Weller or similar brand mentioned. Shame I can't run a Dewalt 20v Lithium Ion power tool battery into an DC-AC inverter,(I have oodles of them) then I could use my Weller gun on those days the WX is not cooperating .(most of the time)

You've given me lots to think about.

Cheers guys and CU (all of a sudden!)

Mike VE9AA