Re: [TowerTalk] Removing concrete from the galvanized steel legs

To: Alex Filippov <wk1ontario@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Removing concrete from the galvanized steel legs
From: "Steve, NR4M" <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:01:20 -0400
I never said to soak it.

Try it on a hot dipped galvanized bolt and see how long it takes to etch the
zinc.
It will react instantly to the alkaline Portland cement in the concrete.
Pour some muriatic acid on some concrete in some inconspicuous place.  It will
instantly foam and self neutralize to water.   You will have loose sand, where
the Portland cement has been dissolved.  The resultant roughness is what you
are looking for in paint adhesion.
Try it on a bolt or some old, useless tower and see for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone