Re: [TowerTalk] Steel mast paint preparation

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steel mast paint preparation
From: "Joseph B. Fitzgerald" <jfitzgerald@alum.wpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 20:41:05 +0000
A wire wheel attachment on an angle grinder followed by a wipe down with an
acetone soaked rag is my standard surface prep routine for steel.   I was just
looking at a handrail made from black steel pipe that I installed 27 years ago
that was prepared that way followed by Rust-Oleum primer and then Rust-Oleum
top coat.   It looks good enough another 27 years of New England weather.  Ping
me in 2050 and I will let you know how it held up compared to a new powder
coated railing just installed on the other side of the house.

I have prepared several antenna masts the same way and they seem to be doing
just fine looking from the outside.   Not sure what might be going on inside
the masts, as they are open to the weather and are of course not spray painted
on the interior.      A disadvantage of this technique is that you don't get
any chance of "self healing" any scratches or chips incurred during
installation since there is no zinc involved.

de KM1P Joe