[TowerTalk] Tower bolts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower bolts
From: Kelly Taylor via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 10:03:44 -0500
Howdy, Towertalkians,

I’ve just been quoted a price of $700 for bolts for a 52-foot Delhi tower. (The
kit is $187 ea., but the distributor is insisting on a minimum order of three.)

This Delhi, as you may recall, is essentially the Rohn BX but with a continuous
taper instead of swagging at the top of each section.

The bolts are unique in that they have shoulders at the base of the thread
instead of being threaded entirely to the head. The shoulder fits inside the
upper bolt holes of the lower of two mating sections. Presumably, it’s to limit
compression (spalling, perhaps?) of the mating pieces.

I see DX Engineering has Rohn bolt kits for Rohn towers with the same shoulder
construction. Any reason the correct sizes would not be interchangeable?

I’ve checked with our local masters of fasteners… such bolt construction is
apparently unique to those supplied by Wade (Delhi) and Rohn.

Thanks for any comments. And please, I’m aware of the limitations of these
towers.

73, kelly, ve4xt