Re: [TowerTalk] Arcfault Breakers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arcfault Breakers
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:56:56 -0700
On 3/16/23 3:08 PM, Joseph B. Fitzgerald wrote:
Would everyone who has seen a fire caused by an arc fault please raise your
hand(s).

I didn't see it, but it's pretty famous - MGM Grand fire.

Hand raised, I have seen several and I am not even paying that much attention.

I had an arc fault problem in my own house that resulted in a scorched wall
outlet and adjacent wall, fortunately no fire resulted.    Things could have
been different had there been any lint build up from the clothes dryer attached
to the outlet in question.     FWIW, the arcing was likely caused due to a nick
in the conductor where the electrician stripped the insulation to attach it to
the outlet.  Decades of thermal cycling at that high resistance point caused
the copper to crack through and then start arcing.

de KM1P Joe