Re: [TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 23:07:13 -0800
Geo, you make an important point about the purpose of the adhesive blob that bridges the male connector nut to the threaded portion of the female connector. I have seen it used that way in all the space hardware that I've worked on (as well as on fastener heads). I've heard it claimed that this strictly for inspection purposes (i.e. did the torqued connector nut move after the unit was subjected to a launch level vibration test?) and that it provides no significant holding power. I am not sure I believe that, but non-withstanding it's contribution to connector nut locking, it certainly does serve as an inspection aid.

When doing tests at work where RF phase stability is paramount, loose connectors can show up as noise in the test data, so I make a big fuss about making sure all the RF connectors are properly tightened. The other thing I fuss over is making sure cables are properly strained relieved. SMA connectors are small, so if the cable is heavy and/or stiff it can easily impart enough torque on the SMA connector to loosen it when things are being moved around or just from gravity. When using SMA connectors in a ham shack, paying attention to those two things without having to resort to adhesive staking should suffice in most if not all cases.

73, Mike W4EF...............