Re: [TowerTalk] Xm 240

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Xm 240
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 17:10:53 -0800
Bruce,

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but I am curious if the loading coils you received from MFJ/Cushcraft with your XM240 are covered in black shrink wrap or a dark gray epoxy? In July I ordered a replacement loading coil for an XM240 that was damaged in service. It finally showed up a few weeks ago. Instead of the shrink wrap like the old design (pre-MFJ), it is covered in this dark gray epoxy. The epoxy looks almost like JB-Weld. I haven't had time to test it yet, but hopefully the epoxy has electrical characteristics that are close enough to the shrink wrap, that the new scheme still works electrically.

I happen to have a couple of loading coils in my possession from the predecessor of the XM240, the 402CD, to compare against the new coil. The diameter, number of turns, and overall length look about the same, but the points where the aluminum tubing pieces end along the length of the fiberglass coil form are a little closer together. I need to go fetch one of the good coils from the XM240 to see how it compares to the new one as well as the ones from the 402CD. I do know the epoxy coating is definitely new compared to the black shrink wrap used on both the pre-MFJ XM240 and the 402CD.

The last time I called MFJ/Cushcraft to check on the order status for the replacement coil in mid-October, I spoke with Tom who indicated that the long lead time of the coil was due to staffing problems. He said that MFJ lost of lot of people during the COVID pandemic and they had been struggling to replace them. Tom assured me that they had just trained up some new hires and that I could expect my order to be filled very soon (which it was).

Good luck with your new antenna.

73, Mike W4EF............