Re: [TowerTalk] Need some actual Inv V lengths using 14ga THHN

To: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need some actual Inv V lengths using 14ga THHN
From: Edward McCann via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 18:36:18 -0700
Not to beat a dead horse, but I recall a presentation by K6OIK created for
Pacificom October 2017 in which he addresses insulated wire in modeling.

He states: NEC2 has no capabilities to address dielectrics; NEC3 and NEC4
handle dielectrics by accurate methods; Cebik in note 83 attempted to reverse
engineer insulated wire corrections from NEC4 but did not discover the full
answer; and

EZNEC v.4 and up claim to go insulated wires but use NEC2, which has no
capability to model dielectric coated wires.

EZNEC Pro/4 uses NEC4 which has accurate dielectric caiability.

I’ve not used whatever AB7E calls EZNEC +, so I’m not in a position to
challenge the position, but I am really interested in what EZNEC+ claims is the
Vf of simple insulated wire, for  8, 10,12,14,16 gauge.

I’ve been looking for several decades for a technical analysis of the Vf of a
single bare and insulated wire, hearing nothing but lore from just about
everywhere, unbelievable proposals and formulas from some, exhortations from
academics that such a search is pissin’ in the wind, since there is no return
path, as there is in twin lead or in coax.

A few brave souls try to link the return path as earth or ground, a few say
what the hell, take off 1-2%. Even the Goubau transmission line folks aren’t
sure.

K6OIK lists the classics by Richmond and Newman from 1976 as well as Lee and
Balmain in 1979, and Popovic in 1984 but otherwise there’s nothing credible in
the technical literature. And you can only imagine what our ham experts have
put forth: lore and more.

So, if you have something technical, I’d love to see it. Even buy you a beer if
we meet in person!!

Love to hear your opinion.

73
Ed McCann