Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjain Towers LM470 Remote tower raising control

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjain Towers LM470 Remote tower raising control
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 13:57:00 -0700
On 7/17/22 11:51 AM, John Langdon wrote:
I was advised years ago by one of my trusted "Elmers" who had lots of
experience with radio gear in the Navy that it is better to cut a window in your radio
room than take a risk of an unexpected or uncontrolled motion of a tower.  I was also
advised when I was in the wind turbine business (very briefly) that the most dangerous
thing in the modern world is an electrical engineer controlling a high power mechanical
system!

73 John N5CQ

I would say a "rookie electrical engineer".

One acquires valuable experience in the design, build, test, and use process, and one hopes that there are not any (severe) injuries.  Electrohydraulic systems and big electric motors can exert astounding forces.

Similar things can be said about High Voltage or high RF power. To this day, I cringe a bit when someone reaches into a powered on complex digital logic system (max voltage 5V) with a bare hand and scope probe, even though I do it myself, and I know it's "safe"