Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:29:26 -0700

On 2022-05-18 10:51 AM, Kim Elmore wrote:

I'm pretty sure that there is no such data set in existence and I
don't know of a good way to collect one.

I expect there is sufficient data available from the WSPR folks
(WSPRnet) for WSPR or from the RBN for CW.  While the signal
strength data is SNR and not purely dBm, in both cases you will
find a very well defined minimum SNR such that a 1 dB decrease
in signal level (or 1 dB increase in noise) will make the difference
between copy/response and "CQ in the face."  2 dB will *certainly*
make a significant difference.

The FT4/FT8 data from PSKReporter also includes signal (SNR) strength.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

The challenge with SNR data (as opposed to absolute levels) is that you don't know whether the N is propagating over the same path as the S, or different. A great propagation path doesn't help if you and the noise being generated in your area propagate by the same path.

But you might be able to normalize it somehow. I spent the better part of a year trying to come up with a good worldwide atmospheric noise model, trying to merge lightning data, ITU curves, etc. - There just aren't the public data sets readily available to figure it out. It doesn't help that space observations are above the ionosphere, which blocks a lot of the "interesting" frequencies for hams.

I've long maintained that the advantage of gain antennas (Yagis, 4 squares, etc) is more the ability to place a null (or other wise reduce the strength) of interfering sources, whether natural or man-made.  Pointing the fairly wide beam of a Yagi off the great circle heading to the desired other end reduces the desired signal, but reduces the undesired signal even more, because the gain vs azimuth curve has an increasingly steep slope as you move off the boresight.