Re: [TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:50:20 -0600
Dave,

There are a number of articles that reference non-1/4 WL radials and the benefits.  That made complete  sense to me and the verts and 4sq that I built were made purposely with lengths not on quarter wave marks for the reason you mention.  I forget where I saw this mentioned the first time, but I want to say it was an article from the 70s.  So it's not a new idea.  Never measured currents as you did but I did "tune" all over the radials to the same Fc with the assumption that they would distribute the currents well enough.

The funny part is that I must have had 20 guys ask me about the non-1/4 WL choice.  And I think 19 of them went away unconvinced. The lore driving a quarter wave elevated radial length is just impossible to overcome.  Yet a guy can see the cost/benefit for various lengths in the N6LF article.  Fig 15.

Congrats on your build.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com