[TowerTalk] T-Network Calculator Spreadsheet

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] T-Network Calculator Spreadsheet
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 19:12:41 -0700

There are several online T-Network and L-Network calculators out there, as well as various standalone applications that do the same thing.  My problem with most of them, though, is that every time I change the frequency or change the complex load values (or typically both), the network gets recalculated for the new values.  That isn't necessarily the real world, though, where fixed networks might be used at the feedpoint of an antenna or somebody just doesn't want to bother retuning the network every time they change the frequency. What I wanted to see was what happened to impedances, currents, and voltages when the network didn't change but everything else did.

So I wrote a simple spreadsheet to show that sort of thing.  It's nothing special ... literally just the application of Ohms Law using complex impedances ... but the calculations get messy enough that it's much easier handled using the available formulas in Excel.

I'm pretty certain that applications like the excellent AutoEZ and EZNEC can display a similar output for fixed tuner values based upon an antenna model, but this spreadsheet is useful when you have an antenna that isn't easy to model and you are able to obtain the actual feed impedances as a function of frequency using one of the relatively inexpensive complex impedance analyzers that are available now.  Looking at you, nanoVNA.

I've made the spreadsheet freely available for download from the files page of the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club website.  Go to:

http://www.arizonaoutlaws.net/   ; then click on "Downloads" under the "More" drop down tab at the top of the page.

Using the spreadsheet should be pretty obvious, but the first sheet ("Intro") has some explanatory text.  The sheet titled "AB7E" has the calculator.  To be clear, this spreadsheet does NOT give you the optimized network values for any particular frequency and load, although you can get there by trial and error if you so choose.  You can easily get the automatically optimized values elsewhere, such as from TLW, the free transmission line calculator that comes free with the ARRL Antenna Book.  But once you load those values into the spreadsheet for one frequency you can see what happens for other frequencies and loads.

The spreadsheet was written in Excel 2010 to handle ten columns of input data, but a simple copy/paste will extend that to however many data points you might want to use.

The spreadsheet is set up as a T-Network, but by simply setting one of the capacitors to a very high value (like 50,000 pf) that element will look like a short and the network becomes essentially an L-Network.  You could even do the same for a single series or shunt element using the same idea ... make the other values high enough that they don't matter.

The spreadsheet assumes a 50 ohm non-reactive source impedance.  I could have written it for an arbitrary complex source impedance, but that would require the assumption that the source is able to output the stated power at that impedance.  I didn't think that was necessarily realistic, but if anyone thinks that would be especially valuable, drop me a note.

If the spreadsheet turns out to be useful to you, hug somebody you haven't hugged in a while.

73,
Dave   AB7E