[TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 12:41:38 -0400
I 've read a lot of articles over the years about ground systems and how to build a good one. Most of them ignore actual soil conditions and few talk about the differences between "DC/AC (Low Freq)/Lightning" and RF ground vs frequency

But how do I actually measure it ?  And once I have this number how good is "good enough"

Take my situation I live on ancient sandbar 65' above sea level In Florida . Now this is practically a mountain in Florida and the soil is so poor that below about 6" nothing but granular quartz exists, mostly not even roots, a desert with a lot a rainfall.  The soil is so soft that I can push the first 5' of a 10' ground rod in by hand. I often wonder why my house doesn't sink into it and from a phenomena called "sink holes" a  few house do.

So to coin a take on the old light bulb joke " How many engineers with 10' ground rods does it take to make a good  ground (RF ground in this case@ 1.8 Mhz) and how will they know when they have enough 10' rods"

Dave
NR1DX

--
Dave Manuals@ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com