Re: [TowerTalk] Minimum Beverage Distance from Tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Minimum Beverage Distance from Tower?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 06:48:40 -0400
This is anecdotal as I have no solid proof of what I think is happening. It also may not closely resemble your situation, since my tower is shunt fed.

I have a 100 foot tower with significant top loading that is shunt fed as a 160m transmitting antenna. I have four two wire reversible Beverages. The N-S Beverage starts about 50 feet west of the tower; NE-SW starts about 50 feet west of the tower; E-W starts about 100 feet southeast of the tower; SE-NW has its midpoint about 80 feet southwest of the tower.

All of the Beverages show directivity and have allowed me to hear and work many stations I could not hear without them. However I think they probably pick up (re-)radiated signals from the tower to some degree. During heavy rain I often get very strong precipitation static on the tower. I also hear it on the Beverages. Though much weaker compared to the tower it is still a few tens of dB above my noise floor on the Beverages. The Beverages all use insulated wire. I discovered that if I disconnect the capacitor for the shunt tuning or otherwise modify the tuning of the tower, the level of precipitation static on all 8 Beverage directions decreases by at least several dB. This leads me to believe at least some of the precipitation static I hear on the Beverages is radiated by the tower.

Note: I have tried "proper" de-tuning or de-resonating methods on this tower several times through the years, but I don't feel I ever had the expected level of success getting the tower to stop re-radiating.

73,
Paul N1BUG