Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G800 Slipping on 25G Rotor Plate

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G800 Slipping on 25G Rotor Plate
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:32:38 -0700
A better fix for stripped threads than a new casting is to use a stainless steel Helicoil (+ other brands) insert. The correct metric kit (M8 x 1.25) is available at most auto stores/amazon etc. Kits include the inserts (many lengths available), correct drill bit, and insert installing tool, and perhaps the drive tang break off tool. The insert removal tool is usually separate. Helicoil taps are the same thread pitch, but a larger major diameter than the hole being fixed and are marked "STI" + thread size & pitch.

In aluminum the Helicoil-ed hole is much stronger than the original threads. Obviously, don't drill too deep into the casting. You might also need a bottoming STI tap to have enough threaded depth. Drill on a drill press if possible to get the hole perpendicular and start the tap the same way.

When reinstalling make sure the bolts aren't bottoming in the hole before tight on the tower plate. Yaesu supplied different length bolts but probably now lost into the ether. To reduce the chance of slipping, I'd coarsely sand off the powder coating around the bolt holes and make sure both plate and this area were clean. Use a torque wrench. If the bolts are also stainless, use some NoAlox or similar to prevent galling.

Console yourself that it was the prior installer that damaged the threads. ;)

Grant KZ1W