Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 11:36:20 -0700
AFAIK, the answer in this case (choke or xfmr) is:
none of the above.

Only an autotransformer (or a transformer connected
as an autotransformer) could possibly work, utilizing
the coax shield as a counterpoise.  Unless there is a
separate counterpoise connection point, which is not
evident in the description.

BTW, I use #61 ferrite cores in my 50 ohm to 450 ohm
transformers.  However, if I was going to go from 50
ohms to 1000's of ohms, #67 or even #68 would probably
be necessary at legal limit power.  The EFHW of 35
years ago that I posted about did not use a transformer,
just an LC network.

Rick N6RK