Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 22:05:21 -0700
On 3/26/2020 9:16 PM, Mike Ryan wrote:
I remember someone recommending a brick wall AM broadcast band filter some
months back.  Was a little on the expensive side but.if it works.  Anyone
recall that thread and the name and/or contact for the manufacturer or
dealer?

I checked into those that were mentioned in that thread, and came to the conclusion that the one that DX Eng sells looked like best or close. Also, the better bandpass filter sets are pretty good at killing the AM BC band. Even the 160M filters in the better sets are 25-30 dB down or so at about 1.3 MHz, get better as they go lower in frequency. Filters for the higher bands are more like 50 dB down on the entire AM band. If your problem is 160M and the interference is high in the band, you'll likely need the dedicated BCB filter.

The link below is a report I prepared for National Contest Journal several years ago on filters that were then available for me to measure. At the end of the report is a link to a page of links to individual measurements for each filter on each band.

http://k9yc.com/BandpassFilterSurvey.pdf

I recently acquired a pair of FilterMax IV filter sets, and measured them. They are in a league with the best I measured for the report, and in some cases better. I think Array Solutions sells them.

Note also that if your rig allows you to patch the filter into the RX line on the RX side of the TX/RX switching, you don't need a filter rated for transmitting.

73, Jim K9YC