Re: [TowerTalk] Shack Heater

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack Heater
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 18:14:30 -0700

On 10/7/2019 1:19 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
If your power amp doesn't provide enough heat for cold winter nights, you might want to grab a very nice Lasko space heater that Costco is selling for about $24. It's very compact, but it's major virtue is that it includes a fan, so it doesn't have to run very long to warm things up!

73, Jim K9YC

A contrarian view.  I don't like the fan type for two reasons:

1.  The noise of the fan is more acoustical QRM that I don't need.

2.  The radiative type of heater is actually faster in terms of
keeping the operator warm.  I find it works quite well by placing
it under the operating desk and "aiming" it at the operating chair.
If necessary an additional desktop "dish" type heater can be
added as a hand warmer.  Also without a fan.

In terms of heating the room is concerned, it is not clear to me
that a fan heater is faster there either.  My radiative heaters
warm up in about 10 seconds.  After that, every watt in is quickly
radiated to the room.

YMMV.

Rick N6RK