Re: [TowerTalk] "experts" on loading towers on low bands

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "experts" on loading towers on low bands
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:12:18 -0700
On 9/10/2019 7:57 AM, John King via TowerTalk wrote:
who are so highly educated and possessing the "ultimate factual truth on the subject of
feeding a tower" to "pooh pooh EVERY other hypothesis

The various methods of feeding a tower are not hypotheses -- that is, ideas or concepts to be proved. Rather, they are applications of the fundamental principles of physics -- our understanding of how things work, developed as a result of scientific study over hundreds of years, the results of which are studied in an organized fashion, and written down so that others can learn from, apply, and even study further to learn about the subject in question.

Sometimes statements or recommendations made here (and elsewhere) are the result of erroneous understandings of the fundamental principles. Few, if any, of us with education and training in the sciences know much about everything -- rather, nearly all of us have specialized in scientific disciplines of interest to us. This is equally true in all fields of human endeavor -- the law, in business, in medicine, construction, mining, driving, teaching, and so on.

My formal education is EE; after that, I extensively studied photography (including lighting, color, and other related technical issues); then electrical construction methods, acoustics, sound systems, and music in order to pursue a career as a sound system design consultant; then EMC in order to address issues of interference to sound systems from AC power and radio systems. Much of that is quite specialized, as a professional, I learned to acknowledge what I know and don't know!

Problems arise when statements or recommendations are made on the basis of faulty understanding of the principles and/or their application, or even quoting erroneous statements and methods of others.

73, Jim K9YC