Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna rope.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna rope.
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 20:13:55 -0700
On 9/5/19 4:04 PM, J Chaloupka via TowerTalk wrote:
I have recently been made aware of a superior roping used by sailboaters and others.
 It has what I think are excellent characteristics that seem to apply to antennas.
The product is named, DYNEMA.  Supposed to be stronger than steel and is sometimes
used in winches.
Here is a link to it.
Spectra / Dynema / Amsteel Ropes and Lines

it's also used in fishing line. It's what is called a liquid crystal polymer and is known for low stretch (like Spectra).

I've not used it as rope, but I've used it as a monofilament.

There's lots of synthetics that work well. Your practical concerns are weather resistance, stretchy-ness (good in climbing ropes, not in halyards), and failure behavior. Choose what works in your application.

Steel is cheap and doesn't have UV issues.