Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:56:40 -0700

I don't own either, but from every published comparison I've ever seen (with actual data) the Rig Expert is far superior to the MFJ.

I do own the SDR-Kits FA-VA5, though, and it is an inexpensive option (less than $200 USD) in a small size (roughly 3 inches wide by 5 inches tall by 1 inch thick) that works up to 600 MHz with really good accuracy over a wide impedance range due to its built in calibration procedure.  It can be used alone, or in conjunction with a laptop computer via its built in USP port, and there is free software available that will even make it work like a TDR for checking cable lengths or finding impedance discontinuities.  It comes in kit form, but it is quite easy to build.  All of the surface mount parts are already in place ... you only have to solder a few thru hole parts before mounting everything in the included case.  It uses two AA alkaline batteries for a claimed 40 hours usage.

https://www.sdr-kits.net/VA5_Page

The only downside is the waiting list due to the high demand for it, but it beats my old AEA HF-CIA hands down.

73,
Dave  AB7E