Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rope

To: w7wll@arrl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rope
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 15:25:42 -0700

On 4/20/2019 2:40 PM, Don wrote:
The name of the manufacturer I couldn't remember was Everson. I would imagine it may only be available locally here on the left coast but the info and URL is at https://www.eversoncordage.com/tarred-seine-twine.

Don W7WLL

Can anyone decode the #N gauges listed? IOW, is there a table or formula that converts the numbered sizes to diameter? I see that
the strength varies from 7.5 to 9.5 lbs per size #.  So the
diameter should be roughly proportional to the square root of the
size #.

Also, how messy is the tar, especially at high temperatures in the sun?
Does it get all over your hands when handling the twine?  Does the
tar tend to form a solid ball around knots making them difficult to
untie?

I will say that tar sounds like something that should be bulletproof
w.r.t. UV if it stays put.

The price for 220 lb twine works out to slightly over 1 cent/foot.
Baler twine is something like 2/3 cents/foot.  So this is very
cost effective given the additional UV protection.

Rick N6RK