Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA

To: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA
From: Charles Morrison <junkcmp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 15:34:22 -0500
HFTA is useless if you dont also incorporate other station data during your
analysis besides the info the program needs to function:

1-A list of bands you are planning to operate using horizontal yagis or
phased wires.
2-A list of antennas you are considering along with their modelled forward
gain in dbi.
2-Which continents or cities do you wish to optimize in this effort ?
3-What are your goals for each band and the areas youve selected for your
horizontal antennas ?
4-The prevalent takeoff angles needed to reach your selected target areas
on the bands youve selected. This info was initial present by N6BV years
before HFTA.
5-Once youve identified an area of pronounced performance degradation (null
/cancellation) on a particular band, what steps are you willing to go to in
order to overcome this ?
     Raise or lower the antenna, add elements, add or remove stacked
antennas, or place the antenna elsewhere.

DIRECTION + YOUR TERRAIN + ANT HEIGHT + ANT PATTERN & GAIN + PROPAGATION
ANGLES = HFTA RESULTS for comparison.

Ive used HFTA to model similar antennas and then measured on-the-air
performance of my station to a nearby hill to NEW ZEALAND for my QTH..
HFTA reported 50db difference between similar antennas at 30ft and at 90ft
to NEW ZEALAND pointing over a 80 foot hill located 1000ft from my QTH.
The on-air difference matched the HFTA modelling results.
-Charlie N1RR