Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops was: Re: Feedline for a new tower

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops was: Re: Feedline for a new tower
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:00:00 -0500
Between the ice and wind at some qth’s like mine, laying cable in loops on a
top plate is just begging to have it catch on a corner or be frozen in place
and tear.  It is usually a bad idea for anyone to generalize from their qth to
everyone else’s, just as it would be for me to generalize from my extreme wx
qth to most other qth’s.

As our climate changes, the resultant violent storms become ever more frequent
and extreme.  Even with 110 mph wind gusts – reachable now in most of the US  -
(the high end of an EF2 tornado or high end of a Cat 2 hurricane) antennas and
towers can survive and people might assume that everything else is ok and
remained in place, like coax loops.  You know those pictures of cars and small
planes being flipped upside down even bad T-storms?  What is the weight of a
coax loop compared to that?  All it takes is movement of a few inches to a foot
and one end can easily slide off a corner and ges caught with very damaging
results.

For these reasons I have gone with hanging loops with ultimately better results
at my qth.  One advantage of a hanging loop is that you can rotate the antenna
full scale with someone standing at the top of the tower (or under/above the
sidemount) and observe what happens through a 360 degree rotation and make
adjustments and then test it again.  And you can, to some degree, simulate the
effects of wind by pushing or pulling the loop in different directions to see
what it does and move potential obstacles or “loop catchers” out of harms way.
It is not foolproof but it is quite effective.  I have not had anything catch
since well before the past two Hurricanes, macroburst and two tornados at my
qth, more than 10 years ago.  Of course there is also luck involved.  When
Hurricane Irene and its 110 mph wind gusts tore off the massive crown of a tall
tree and hurled it into my tower 80’ away, it could have easily have caught on
one of the antennas or coax loops or moved them, causing them to catch on
something anyway.  You can’t prevent everything, just take sensible and
thorough precautions.

I also like hanging loops because ice is far more likely to melt and fall away
on a hanging loop when the sun comes out and assists gravity in doing the rest
of the work.  This is even more likely to occur if you spray or coat the cable
with something that repels water, whereas with a horizontal coil of coax laying
on a plate, when the ice melts it can simply refreeze in a blob and stay that
way on the cable, freezing it in place.  Many people don’t realize that even
when the temperature is > 32 degrees F, if the ice is in the shade, it will
take far longer to melt than when it is in the sun.  So no guarantees that the
fully ice will even melt when it could, especially if it is frozen into a blob
with your cables frozen inside of it.

Bottom line:  Know your qth and the wx at your qth.  And plan for the unlikely
events that can REALLY cause problems for you, especially in Winter.

73

Bob  KQ2M