Re: [TowerTalk] Suggestions for a free standing 120ft tower?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Suggestions for a free standing 120ft tower?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 18:16:49 -0500
In general, the taller your height requirement, the more you save as a percentage of cost with a guyed tower. Very short SS towers (60' is in the very short range) are cost effective, saving you the cost of the guy anchors and guy systems while adding only modest amounts of tower steel and base foundation materials. At the other end of the scale, a 500' or higher SS tower involves massive amounts of tower steel, not to mention the way higher construction costs.

Why does anyone choose a big SS tower? It's often real estate/footprint issues - guy systems take up acreage which might not be available or would be cost prohibitive.

Out in the country, guyed towers rule.

-Steve K8LX