Re: [TowerTalk] Tubular mast question

To: Terry Brown <n7tb@comcast.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tubular mast question
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:37:27 -0800
Possible - Yes. Large enough will certainly work. Any aluminum mast just strong enough will also bend in the wind a surprising amount. Another problem will be the joint right at 20' since that is the length of standard aluminum pipe/tube and the point of highest stress in the 20' unsupported section. The splice will need some careful thought and implementation.

Then you don't specify the wind conditions, so without them there is no calculation.

A mast calculator http://thebont.com/spreadsheets/AnalysisOfAntennaMastStrength.htm

I suggest you start with analyzing 2.5" IPS schedule 40 6061-T6 aluminum pipe, and go smaller or bigger depending on the results.

The house will probably need reinforced at the bearing and the mount plenty beefy and be able to spread the load.

A better alternative would be 30 ft of Rohn 25, a house bracket and 5' of exposed steel mast to an internal rotator, if you are willing to climb a bit.

Grant KZ1W