Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical insulated base material question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical insulated base material question
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 15:51:38 -0600
Until or unless a knowledgeable expert with hands-on experience could persuade me I would not do it. You can buy insulators off the shelf from various sources. I have a 52 ft vertical on a home brew base that uses 3 insulators from Hy-Gain. The antenna is a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower and is made to be free standing and mount on a cubic yard of concrete. I built a custom mount and mounted it without concrete on top of a metal barn. You can buy the insulators as replacement parts. If you want stronger then use more than 3 insulators.

The Hy-Gain Hy-Tower is a triangular lattice tower for the first 24 ft and then is telescoping aluminum tubes the rest of the way up. Check out the wind loads and your mast is likely less of a wind load than mine.

Patrick        NJ5G