Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior
From: Matt <lovewell@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 18:13:44 -0600
Yes.

I use just regular google maps and right click on the tower base, choose
measure distance and then click on the north pole for instance and then
zoom in on my qth using satellite view and see what local landmarks the
line goes over.  I've done it also to determine line of sight for
directional wifi antennas over long backhauls.  Google maps automatically
choose the shortest path, so if you draw a line to europe, you'll see the
path go NE.

The cool thing about google earth is that if you create a path and save the
path so that it appears in the pane on the left, you can then right click
on that and "get elevation profile" or something along those lines, and it
will show you the elevation profile between any two points (maybe more, but
I never tried).