Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Perpendicular Delta Loops

To: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>, "<towertalk@contesting.com>" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Perpendicular Delta Loops
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:23:51 -0700
I did a lot of modeling a few years ago and found the tower interacts with the vertical polarization. If the loop is about 5 ft out from the tower then the pattern is improved. A feedpoint about 20% up (from bottom) either leg yields a good low angle pattern and a near 1:1swr 70 ohm resonance Z (apex at 77', bottom 118' long at 26') There is about 4db front to side and about 1db lower gain on the tower side of the loop. 2.33dbi peak gain at 20 deg which is pretty nice for a low no radial single support antenna on 80m. However, with the apex up it is a real cloud warmer on 40m. If you have two supports, and have the apex down, the 40m performance is very good. I've not modeled perpendicular loops but spent a lot of time modeling a phased pair, but gave that up with the tower interaction issues. Others have built phased ones hung on a tower and reported poor results.

Grant KZ1W