[TowerTalk] Fwd: Connector install failure.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Connector install failure.
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:14:13 -0500
Rick,

I agree that this method guarantee no short in the coax but may introduce other
problems later. I suspect that the individual wires in the shield will break
off, one by one, over time, especially if the cable is moved such as repeatedly
connected and unconnected.

I recommend that you add a couple of shrink tubes in staggering lengths to be
used to reduce the physical movement around the soldering point at the
connector.

The wires in the shield are are usually hard and the addition of solder makes
them even harder, a precondition for breakage when flexed.

I have made and used the "traditional" method during my (many) years and have
also used the shown "solder-on-the-outside" with named result. The reason for
shorted connections have most of the time been due to wrongly set or worn
out/dull knifes in the stripper.

Good luck with your installation.

Best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS