Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

To: Ken Beals <k6mr@outlook.com>, Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, 'Joe K2UF' <joe@k2uf.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
From: n4zkf <towertalk@n4zkf.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:05:03 -0400
Two hooks do not mean 100% tied off unless you are moving. Then you need
to have one on the tower at all times as you are unclipping and clipping
with the other while climbing. That's what a dual shock pack is for and
all should use. You can still have one on the tower and be 100% tied off
if your not moving and working. Then it needs to be ABOVE your head so you
don't fall over 6' like I see these greenhorns on our towers everyday out
there and I send the crew home for the day to think about it after a
safety lesson. But a positioning lanyard to hold you and a fall arrest
above you is needed to be right.

Doug, I hope you don't become a statistic with your attitude of free
climbing. A Tuf-tug (safety climb) on a tower works great. Clip on with
the front D-Ring and walk up. Expensive but nice if you climb your tower a
lot. Check some of these videos out that may surprise some. This is where
we send all our people. I bet some have never even heard of rollout and
incompatible connections. Save your life!

https://www.gravitec.com/videos/

73 Dave n4zkf
e-mail: n4zkf@n4zkf.com
web: http://www.n4zkf.com
AR-Cluster node: 145.05 Mhz. or telnet://dxc.n4zkf.com:23
CC-Cluster node: 145.07 Mhz. or telnet://ccc.n4zkf.com:7373
Packet BBS: 145.05 Mhz.-14.098 Mhz. or telnet://bbs.n4zkf.com:6300
BPQ Node: 145.05 Mhz.-14.098 Mhz. (n4zkf-5)
SEDAN Node: 145.770 Mhz. (n4zkf-7)
N4ZKF/R 147.375 Mhz. Tone 103.5